[OS X TeX] auto-pst-pdf

Michael Hoppe mh at michael-hoppe.de
Thu Oct 28 12:58:44 CEST 2010

Am 28.10.2010 um 00:16 schrieb Ross Moore:

Hi Ross,

> Ensuring that the TeXshop engine uses   -shell-escape
> gets past this check smoothly.

I'm using AlphaX, the first line of fehler.tex

     %&mylatex

ensures that shell-escape is enabled.

> But isn't the purpose of  auto-pst-pdf.sty   to cause
> an auxiliary run of LaTeX, in .dvi mode, to convert the
> contents of special environments to PDF via PostScript?

Exactly.

> When you have no such environments, as in this overly-simple
> test file, then using the package is not relevant at all.

You're right again, but I've tried to produce a minimal example to
create the error message.

> Now auto-pst-pdf.sty  doesn't do the real work; that is done
> by  pst-pdf.sty , so you can simplify the test a bit and still
> get the same messages.

And again, that's true, changing

     \usepackage{auto-pst-pdf}

     \usepackage{pst-pdf}

produces the same message.  Even more minimalistic.  Even simpler:
change

     \usepackage{auto-pst-pdf}

     \usepackage{pstricks}

will create even five of these warnings.

> Here's the output tracing:

Completed box being shipped out [1]
\vbox(578.15999+0.0)x469.75499
.\special{header=pstricks.pro}
.\special{header=pst-algparser.pro}
.\special{header=pst-dots.pro}
.\glue 0.0
.\vbox(578.15999+0.0)x469.75499
..\vbox(0.0+0.0)x469.75499
...\glue 0.0 plus 1.0fil
...\hbox(0.0+0.0)x469.75499
....\pdfcolorstack 0 push {0 g 0 G}
....\hbox(0.0+0.0)x469.75499
....\pdfcolorstack 0 pop
..\glue 0.0
..\glue(\lineskip) 0.0
..\vbox(578.15999+0.0)x469.75499, glue set 568.15999fil
...\special{ps:tx at Dict begin  gsave STV CP T /ps at rot 0 def grestore
end}
...\special{ps:tx at Dict begin  gsave STV CP T /ps at refangle 0.  def
grestore  end
}
...\pdfcolorstack 0 push {0 g 0 G}
...\glue(\topskip) 5.69446
...\hbox(4.30554+0.0)x469.75499, glue set 444.75497fil
....\hbox(0.0+0.0)x20.0
....\OT1/cmr/m/n/10 a
....\penalty 10000
....\glue(\parfillskip) 0.0 plus 1.0fil
....\glue(\rightskip) 0.0
...\glue 0.0 plus 1.0fil
...\glue 0.0
..\glue(\baselineskip) 0.0
..\hbox(0.0+0.0)x469.75499
...\pdfcolorstack 0 push {0 g 0 G}
...\hbox(0.0+0.0)x469.75499
...\pdfcolorstack 0 pop

Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!{/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-var/fonts/map/
pdftex/upd
map/pdftex.map}

Now there are five \special commands.

> So the question is why are these being placed in the PDF,
> when they can only have relevance in the auxiliary .dvi ?

I don't know either.

Someone did allready: <http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=nonpdfsp
 >.

Michael