[OS X TeX] Placing of .bib files

Adam M. Goldstein z_californianus-dated-1288280355.cdb918 at shiftingbalance.org
Sat Oct 23 17:39:12 CEST 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Martin Berggren wrote:

> I will be  annoying enough to  recommend you *not* to use a global .bib file for your writings. The global .bib file is great as a general data base, but I believe it is better to create a separate .bib-file with excerpts from your global file for each writing project. In this way the project directories will be self contained and useful also on another machines, for instance.

On this same issue, it makes sense to put a copy of the .bst file used to create the bibliography for a given writing project in some place stable relative to the compiled files. That way, you can recompile the document later, and get the same bibliography output format. Especially important if there are custom fields, a particular capitalization format, etc.

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
z_californianus at shiftingbalance.org
http://www.shiftingbalance.org