[OS X TeX] Placing of .bib files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 22 17:09:11 CEST 2010

On Oct 22, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Jesper Duemose Nielsen wrote:

> Hello guys,
> I am new to this whole (La)TeX world and I want to use bibtex for managing my bibliography and references. However I find it rather annoying having to place the .bib file in the same folder as the .tex document. Is there a way to make bibtex find the .bib file without it being placed in the folder of the currently used document (such as putting a sym link in a folder which is searched by default by bibtex or whatever is the best solution)?
> I tried searching the internet for a solution but I didn't find anything that made any sense to me (I'm not too familiar with the folder structure of the tex distribution nor with terminal in general)
> I am using os x 10.5 and texlive 2010.
>
> Hope you can help. Kind regards,
> Jesper

Howdy,

If you place your personal bib files in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/ and personal bst files in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/ or sub-folders of those folders for organizational purposes they will be found. Note that ~/Library/ is the Library folder in your HOME folder. If you don't have the ~/Library/texmf/ folder and below just create them.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)