[OS X TeX] Creates idx, wants ind

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 11:48:57 CEST 2010

On Oct 18, 2010, at 8:00 PM, <macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu> <macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:

> This is OT: I just realized that the new volume of the magnum has no
> index. The idx is generated but the console complains about no ind. I
> went about it as before---or so I think---and don't have a clue as to
> what happened in the meantime. See the attached grab of a minimal
> example.
>
> Hopeful regards
> --schremmer

It looks as though you are not running the makeindex program. This is the program that takes you .idx file and produces the desired .ind file.
You typically need to run (pdf)latex - which will create .idx from all the index commands in your file, then makeindex, then (pdf)latex again. Of course, if you use one of the latexmk engines, this will be taken care of automatically.

Luis Sequeira