[OS X TeX] Unexpected TS coloring of uncommented text

Andrea Raiconi araiconi at unisa.it
Wed Oct 13 16:42:22 CEST 2010

Il giorno Oct 13, 2010, alle ore 4:18 PM, Themis Matsoukas ha scritto:

> On Oct 13, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I don't think this behavior is new. You can ``fix it'' by pressing Return twice and then delete one of the Returns in stage 2. I'm not sure what forces a rescan.
>
> Yes, there are many ways to fix this but some are as unexpected as the coloring problem itself:
>   -you can hit return twice above the red text
>   -you can hit back space below the red text
>   -you can scroll the window
>
>> By the way, I rarely ``hide'' and ``un-hide'' this way. It's so easy to simply put the cursor anywhere on the line and then Source->Comment and Un-Comment the line (Cmd-{ and Cmd-} with US keyboard localization).
>

> Not every case can be handled this way though. For example, if you want to uncomment part of previously commented text, the only choice is to break the comment with a return.
>
> Regardless, what I had not realized until just now is that it is only the color of the line that is affected, i.e., the red text is *not* treated as a comment during typesetting, as I had thought when I sent the message. This makes the whole thing a lot more benign that I had feared.
>
> Themis
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Well, if you break the commented line with a return, the TeX engine will never consider the new line as a comment. This behaviour does not depend from the program you used to insert the new line, so you can be 100% sure that it's just a visualization glitch.

--
Andrea Raiconi, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher
Email: araiconi at unisa.it