[OS X TeX] missing ligatures from included pdf

Jan Hegewald hegewald at irmb.tu-bs.de
Thu Oct 7 19:43:38 CEST 2010

On 07.10.2010, at 18:56, Jan Hegewald wrote:

> On 07.10.2010, at 18:47, Alan Munn wrote:

>>> Do you these ligatures when you view this PDF in some PDF viewer?

>>> How could you achieve this? The Latin Modern fonts are not in the Mac OS X fonts service. Can you also prove that this font is actually registered in the PDF file? Some PDF viewers offer this, the command line utility pdffonts from xpdf allows this, too.
>>
>> Actually you can have LM fonts installed as regular Mac fonts.  I do.  However, the LM Sans doesn't have ligatures at all, no matter how the document is produced.
>>
>> Jan, if you change the font in Omnigraffle to LM Roman, you should get the ligatures.  Conversely, if you create a small latex document using LM Sans, you'll find that the same text will be without ligatures.  So if you want a sans font with ligatures, you'll need some other font.
>>

> Alan, the pdf from OG does show the ligatures just fine. Acrobat calls the embedded font "LMSans12-Regular". If I change the font in OG to LM Roman, the Latex pdf still does not show the ligatures.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Jan

Here is some more info: Acrobat says the font is embedded, but its encoding is "custom". I tried to re-embed it with Acrobat Pro and got the following error: "The font could not be embedded because the font stored on the page and the system font are encoded differently and the encodings could not be resolved."

Best,
-- Jan