[OS X TeX] Inserting a few words in "non-latin-character" languages

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Oct 3 20:58:01 CEST 2010

Am 03.10.2010 um 19:17 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

> As single, isolated example in the magnum opus, I would like to give
> translations of the word table in a few "exotic" languages.

I think you better do not use babel and language switching, or
polyglossia – just use XeLaTeX! (I think you do not have LuaLaTeX
yet...)

With pdfTeX you will have one problem: you cannot encode a zillion of
different characters with just one 7- or 8-bit input encoding and one
7- or 8-bit font encoding. So you have to change to Unicode encoding
(for example UTF-8), and enable a dozen (or such) font encodings.

And I also think that you'll have a great problem when you mix the
euro-centric L(atin)G(reek)C(yrillic) based scripts with CJK. (A
bigger problem might come up when you mix L(eft)T(o)R(ight) with RTL
writing directions.)

For a pdfLaTeX source in UTF-8 (input) encoding two systems are
available: the old ucs package (out of support) and the usual inputenc
package or Heiko Oberdiek's inputenx package.

A possible pdfLaTeX preamble could have one of these two:

	\usepackage[utf8]{inputenx}
	\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

plus

	\usepackage[T1,T2A,T2B,T2C,X2,LCY,LY1,T3,T4,T5,T6,T7]{fontenc}	%
there might be more, the inputen{c|x} packages will care for
	%\usepackage[full]{textcomp}

In the text body many times you'll certainly have to something like

	\fontsize{12}{13.5pt}\usefont{<encoding>}{<TeX font name>}{<weight>}
{<shape>}\selectfont

or

	\fontencoding{<encoding>}\fontfamily{<TeX font family name>}
\fontseries{m}\fontshape{n}
	\fontsize{12}{13.5pt}\selectfont

(the sizes are just some numbers or examples) and switch back to the
standard, which is easy (either grouping or a macro which re-selects
the standard font).

With XeLaTeX much less hassle. For NFSS2 usage and re-selection best
look into The LaTeX Companion (\usefont)!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Debugging? Klingons do not debug! Our software does not coddle the
weak."