[OS X TeX] Who is using biblatex?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 30 17:16:20 CET 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Vic Norton wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:14 PM, Simon Spiegel wrote:
>
>> Also, if you use biblatex, it's better not to use bibtex (the program) or bibtex8 respectively, but biber to do the sorting. It handles UTF8, doesn't know the memory limitations of bibtex and is the way biblatex will go in the future. A ready-to-use binary for OSX can be downloaded here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/biblatex-biber/files/biblatex-biber/current/binaries/OSX_Intel/biber.tar.gz/download
>
> Where is biber supposed to go? In /usr/local/bin? Somewhere else? How does biblatex know where to find it?
>
> - Vic

Howdy,

I've put it into /usr/texbin so it's in the same folder as bibtex, etc. As far as I know you use biber instead of the bibtex executable and in the same way; the biblatex package needs to ``know'' you are using biber by using the [backend=biber] option and, at least at this time, bibtex is the default backend.

Unfortunately, at least in my point of view, latexmk can't properly parse the biber log file (at least at this time) so the typeset cycle can't be automated using latexmk. Hopefully that will change over time and when biber development stabilizes. (Maybe I have this wrong but my exprience is that it doesn't work right now.)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)