[OS X TeX] Referring equation into an .eps file

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 11 19:21:03 CET 2010

On Nov 11, 2010, at 10:06 AM, Cleo wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using originlab, excel, spss to produce some plots. In some graphics I refer
> an expression on the legend (e.g. Error using expression (5.1)).
> The problem is that, if I add/delete an expression in the .tex file before the
> expression 5.1, the graphic becomes outdated and I have to manually change that
> legend.
>
> Is that a way of referring an expression  as part of the legend in an .eps
> figure, and make latex to process it?
>
> I'll appreciate your tips.

There are a couple of traditional methods. The first is to generate the graphic without the legend, then add the legend at the TeX level. Pstricks is one way to do this with an eps inclusion. Another method uses the psfrag package, in which you generate a code for the legend when you generate the graphic, then replace the code with the true legend at the time of inclusion.

Michael