[OS X TeX] \wideparen doesn't show up

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon Nov 1 20:04:12 CET 2010

Hello André,

On 02/11/2010, at 5:12 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> Compare both files (if you have the mtpro fonts):
>
> \documentclass[twoside]{book}
> \usepackage{yhmath}
> \begin{document}
> $$
> \wideparen{a \ast b}
> $$
> \end{document}
>
> There is a arc above  a * b
>
> \documentclass[twoside]{book}
> \usepackage{yhmath}
> \usepackage{mtpro2}
> \begin{document}
> $$
> \wideparen{a \ast b}
> $$
> \end{document}
>
> With mtpro2 loaded, the arc doesn't show anymore.

Presumably MathTimesPro has changed the font families.
(I don't have it, so cannot check this fully.)
Have you tried simply changing the order of loading the packages?

> Could it be that there is some mechanism in mtrpro2 whoch disable \wideparen ?
>
> The definition ot  \wideparen in yhmath is shown here:
>
>> \wideparen=macro:
> ->\protect \mathaccentV {wideparen}3F3.

Actually it is declared via:

 \DeclareMathAccent{\wideparen}{\mathord}{largesymbols}{"F3}

which results in the definition that you showed, drawing
the {largesymbols} from font-family 3.
After loading  mtpro2  this family number may well be different,
which could explain why you don't get what you expect.

One possible check is to look at the Console. Do you still
get the message:

</usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/yhmath/yhcmex.pfb>

showing that the math-extension font is from YH-math ?

I suspect not, but you'll have a MathTimes font instead.
It may not be a good idea to try mixing YH with this,
as there could be some undesirable side effects with other
characters. Someone who has tried this already should comment.

> l.5 \show\wideparen
>
> André Bellaïche

Hope this helps,

	Ross