[OS X TeX] Accented characters in Xe(La)TeX

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Mon May 31 23:20:55 CEST 2010

On Mon 31st May, 2010 at 21:44, Peter Dyballa seems to have written:

> Am 31.05.2010 um 18:51 schrieb cfrees at imapmail.org:
>
>> I've already re-resolved duplicates in Font Book. (Except for Math Mono
>> 3 which always claims an unresolved duplicate which Font Book
>> nonetheless never seems able to identify - but this is an
>> Apple-supplied font, I think, and has always appeared this way.)
>
> It's not Apple supplied, at least it's not part of Mac OS X 10.4. It could
> come from Wolfram Research/Mathematica...

Ah. It won't be from Mathematica - must be something else. (I thought I
got all the non-OS, non-TL fonts out of /Library/Fonts. Sigh. I did
have a list at one point...)

>> I doubt now that this is a font cache issue... (but that doesn't mean
>> I'm not wrong!)
>

> Then it could be an OS/XeTeX issue. XeTeX seems to become Tiger (and maybe
> Leopard as well) incompatible since Apple has dropped AAT and ATSUI in Snow
> Leopard. Therefore, if you want to use XeTeX more, you should update.

Not an option - Snow Leopard won't run on PPC.

Personally, I only play with XeTeX but as far as I can tell it works
fine with most fonts. I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue for
somebody using Venturis under XeLaTeX. Experimentation revealed this
(possibly distinct; possibly connected) problem.

> I'll
> boot next month into my saved Tiger installation on an external disk and see
> what XeTeX TL '07-'10 will produce.

Is Ross using Tiger? If so, that would suggest a Tiger/XeTeX
incompatibility. But it is still weird that it works fine if the file
is specified explicitly and fine for bold, italic and bold-italic...

Thanks,
cfr