[OS X TeX] Accented characters in Xe(La)TeX

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Mon May 31 18:51:36 CEST 2010

On Mon 31st May, 2010 at 11:33, Peter Dyballa seems to have written:

> Am 31.05.2010 um 04:37 schrieb cfrees at imapmail.org:
>
>> At least, I removed /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS, rebooted,
>
> I don't have this file on Leopard, but com.apple.psnormalizer.fontcache.501
> (501 is my UID). Instead ATSServer has its cache in the /private/var/folders
> tree. ('top -l 1 | grep ATS' will give you two lines, the one with the
> smaller PID runs with your UID, so use now 'lsof -p <that PID>' so see the
> files it has opened)

Font caches changed in Leopard. I'm on Tiger, so the
/Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS should be correct. Using ps to get the
PID for lsof confirms this. (The only other ordinary file open is under
/System and should not, I think be deleted as it is not a temporary
cache file.)

>> (Claim that it shouldn't work is based on the
>> fontspec documentation which states this works only with xdvipdfmx and
>> that this isn't the default on OS X.)
>
> The default XDV -> PDF convertor in Mac OS X is since TeX Live 2008
> xdvipdfmx.

So the fontspec documentation is just out of date - thanks.

>> So now I have some things working which shouldn't & some things not
>> working which should?!
>

> You could try again with some utility to clean the font caches... Before try
> to organise the fonts in Font Book in Libraries and Collections, switching
> them off to resolve duplicates.

I tend to avoid utilities where possible (especially GUI utilities). I
trust myself at the command line more... (perhaps foolishly, perhaps
not). That way, I at least know exactly what was done or misdone!

I've already re-resolved duplicates in Font Book. (Except for Math Mono
3 which always claims an unresolved duplicate which Font Book
nonetheless never seems able to identify - but this is an
Apple-supplied font, I think, and has always appeared this way.)

I doubt now that this is a font cache issue... (but that doesn't mean
I'm not wrong!)

- cfr