[OS X TeX] Re: TeX on the iPad (again)

Nicola nvitacolonna at gmail.com
Sun May 30 17:09:56 CEST 2010

In article <70FACB3C-67BF-431A-B648-2030EA2A2331 at lse.ac.uk>,
 "J. McKenzie Alexander"
 <jalex at lse.ac.uk> wrote:

> are there any plans to bring a version of TeX, even a minimal version, to the
> iPad?

I have no plans :) But I would be interested in such a port, which, I
believe, is technically possible. Given the architecture of iPhone OS,
the only feasible possibility may be to build a "monolithic" application
embedding, besides an editor and a viewer, also the tex source (as
opposed to calling tex as an external program). Since this is
(translatable to) C code, it might be easily integrated with Objective-C
code.

I don't think that is possible to keep tex (or any other program/script)
as an external executable within an application bundle. As far as I
know, the iPhone SDK (3.2) does not include NSTask (a class that allows
a program to execute a process) and, although standard C fork/exec calls
seem to be there (and they work in the iPhone Simulator), I am pretty
sure that they are not allowed on a device (but I cannot test that),
otherwise removing NSTask in the first place would have been pointless.

Of course, TeX is not just one binary program... But, at least as a
proof of concept, it would be interesting to isolate the bare minimum
needed to run a (plain) TeX system and try to build that into a single
application.

I'm curious what others, especially developers, think about it. I have
little knowledge of the TeX infrastructure (in particular, I don't know
what the "bare minimum" is), so I may be grossly misled.

Regards,
Nicola