[OS X TeX] TeXShop Feature Question

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat May 29 20:48:10 CEST 2010

On May 29, 2010, at 1:14 PM, David Arnold wrote:

>  I use BBEdit a lot and I find invaluable its tabbing and drawer
> system. It's not unusual that I often have multiple files open and
> having them "tabbed" in the same editor is helpful. Also, keyboard
> shortcuts to scroll forward or backward through tabbed windows are
> extremely helpful. Texhop has Cmd+` to scroll through open windows,
> but it also travels through the open console window and finder,
> etc, which interferes with what you really want to do, which is tab
> back and forth between two open tex source files. The drawer in
> BBEdit has a number of nice features including the ability to open
> a tabbed source file in another window, close all windows, close
> "others", etc.
>
> In Texshop, I use header lines like: %!TEX TS-program = latex. I
> use \include and \includeonly very often when I work on a large
> project and forward and inverse search work extremely well in the
> current version, so I probably would not need a "project" window.
> However, in keeping with the spirit of Texshop to make things
> easier for newcomers to tex and latex, the ability to start a
> "book" project, with chapter and section files, exercise files,
> solutions files, and to organize them in an "XCode" groups and
> files type environment would be a very good thing, particularly for
> new comes who don't know much about "including" files.

For what it's worth, here is the way I set up my "projects"

---I keep in a folder Book the file Book.tex which has the front
matter, back matter etc and \include{../Chapters-contents/1}, \include
{../Chapters-contents/2}, etc (The folder also keeps all the
subordinate files)

---I keep  in a folder Chapters-contents the chapter files, 1.tex,
2.tex, etc which all start with the same line

	%!TEX root = ../Chapters-controls/\jobname.tex

---I keep in a folder Chapters-controls very short files, also called
1.tex, 2.tex etc, which are all just copies of the template file

	\documentclass[11pt]{book}
		%ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssBegin PREAMBLE
			\usepackage{BookPreamble}
			\usepackage{BookGraphicsPath}
		% sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss End PREAMBLE
	\begin{document}
		% sssssssssssss Begin ADJUSTMENTS to DOCUMENT
			\addtocounter{page}{0}
			\addtocounter{chapter}{0}
		% sssssssssssssss End ADJUSTMENTS to DOCUMENT
	\include{../Chapters-contents/\jobname}
	\end{document}

(The folders also keep all the subordinate files)

I do adjust the chapter counter but usually forget about the page
counter.

The net result is that when I work on the source file n.tex, I just
hit Typeset to get the n.pdf.

One drawback is that, say, Theorems do not show their true number
unless the whole book is typeset from Book.tex It probably could be
arranged but I never really felt the need.

Here is my "project folder" which is always on my second screen. By
the way, this is also where I keep the style sheets (I put sym links
in the latex folder.)