[OS X TeX] texshop and preview

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat May 22 02:41:38 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM, David Watson <dewatson at me.com> wrote:

> If the OP wants to use Acrobat, that is up to him, and I am not against it, nor am I trying to push Preview on him.

I am not sure if I can recall who this mysterious OP is

> What I can't understand is <<why>> it's so important that it looks perfect in Preview, if he ever intends to print this out.

Definitely pdf looks as it supposed to not only in AR but in Unix
evince and kpdf, so the problem is definitely not with pdf but with
Apple pdf rendering engine. What is more: this file looks perfectly in
"Apple quick view" (get info). However, running pdfcrop example.pdf
results in example-crop.pdf which looks perfect also in Preview and Co
which may suggest that something is not completely right with pdf. So
I will post a relevant part of discussion to pdftex mailing list

However, let us remember that AR (and AA) is the only full-featured
pdf viewer. Generally little imperfection in viewing while preparing
document is not a problem. To be honest I see no reason to be upset
and not to use TeXShop because of this

> If you want to be a jerk about it; then be a jerk, I'll stop contributing to OS X TeX, like so many others who found their support unwelcome.

I see very little reason for such strong reaction.

Victor