[OS X TeX] texshop and preview

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Fri May 21 22:16:26 CEST 2010

Alain,

Timothy Van Zandt sent the following to me some time back. I believe it works:

Hello,

This is coming a bit late, and I'm not sure whether to reply to this thread
or the subsequent "TeXShop Engine" thread. But anyway, here is what I have
been doing for a while.

As noted by others, Distiller doesn't work directly from the command line.
But it can be invoked by an applescript, and then you can run the
applescript from the command line.

What I am going to describe is for Acrobat 8; I don't have Acrobat 9 so I
can't say if it still works the same way.

I have an applescript called "acrodist.scpt" as follows:

on run argv
   with timeout of (8 * 60) seconds
       tell application "Acrobat Distiller"
           Distill sourcePath item 1 of argv
       end tell
   end timeout
end run

Then I have an executable shell script called "acrodist"

#! /bin/sh

osascript ~/bin/acrodist.scpt $1

Then, in the TeXShop preferences, under "Misc", I define the following
personal script (all on one line, under "Latex Program"):

simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extradvipsopts "-j0" --distiller
(/tvz/bin/acrodist

(To be honest, I don't remember why I included the "-j0" option.)

And under the Typesetting tab, I set the Default Script to "Personal
Script".

Regards,

tim