[OS X TeX] TeXShop and Spaces

Adam M. Goldstein z_californianus-dated-1274833564.55e251 at shiftingbalance.org
Fri May 21 02:26:02 CEST 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

>> On 21/05/2010, at 10:08 AM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>>
>>> I don't remember having any of these problems on *nix multiple desktop interfaces. Maybe there you had distinct instances of each application?
>>>

> Do you mean something like "F8" (or maybe "Fun-F8")?

With fluxbox, I seem to remember being able to use entirely independent instances of the same application. I had one desktop for system administration stuff, with a bunch of terminal windows; another for starting TeX processes, with other terminal windows. You could go right to the space or to a particular instance of an application. F8 shows you all the spaces; but if I assign Skim to space #2, and then I drag a Skim window to space #5, the menu bar for Skim is still in space #2, and some things (I can't figure out which) will happen in 5, and some in 2. A single application crosses spaces...

I segregate PDF's generated by TeX runs from those for articles I am reading by having TeXShop in space #1, for TeX-created PDF's, and Skim in #2 for all the others. (I have TeXShop set to use another editor, which I also have in space 1). I'd like to be able to just have Skim going, and have independent windows in different spaces.

In Fluxbox there was an F8-like view. You could see little miniature desktops with the applications windows in there. Usually you'd use a pull-down menu by right clicking, though, and you'd go right to the app you want on the desktop you want.

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
z_californianus at shiftingbalance.org
http://www.shiftingbalance.org
http://www.twitter.com/shiftingbalance