[OS X TeX] numbering

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Thu May 20 21:52:15 CEST 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 2:47 PM, George Gratzer wrote:
> On 2010-05-20, at 12:22 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
>>
>> \renewcommand{\thetheorem}{\Roman{chapter}.\arabic{theorem}}
>>

>> Make sure it's after the \counterwithout command. (Assuming this
>> question follows up on your wanting all the theorems sequentially
>> numbered and not restarting each chapter.)

> Seemed logical, but...
>
> This command seems to have no effect at all.
>
> GG

But then you need to show exactly what you're doing.  The following
works for me:

\documentclass{book}
\usepackage{amsmath,amsthm}
\theoremstyle{plain}
\newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem}[chapter]
\usepackage{chngcntr}
\counterwithout{theorem}{chapter}
\renewcommand{\thetheorem}{\Roman{chapter}.\arabic{theorem}}

\begin{document}
\chapter{A chap}
\section{A section}

\begin{theorem}