[OS X TeX] Re: Shallow table of contents

Ferguson, Don fergdc at uleth.ca
Wed May 19 10:24:51 CEST 2010

Greetings  "Alan Munn" <amunn at gmx.com>
On 18/05/2010 at 11:10 you wrote concerning
Re: [OS X TeX] Shallow table of contents

Hello Alan,

AM>> I am using \documentclass{amsbook} and within it want a table of
AM>> contents. The current setup includes:
AM>>
AM>> A table of contents is produced but it only includes entries for
AM>> 'chapter' and 'sections'. Would like entries for 'subsections' and
AM>> 'subsubsections' as well. Since I have read documents which do have
AM>> the "deeper" table of contents, there must be some way to so specify.
AM>>
AM>> So far any docs I've read say nothing about how to include
AM>> 'subsections' and 'subsubsections'. Where should I be looking and
AM>> how is it done?

AM> The amsbook class is designed to meet the requirements of the AMS, and
AM> isn't designed to be customised.  I would recommend that you use a
AM> more general book class such as memoir for your project.

Interesting! Memoir? Okay, I'll try it!

AM> That being said, you could add the following to your document preamble

AM> \setcounter{tocdepth}{4} %
AM> \makeatletter
AM> \expandafter\def\csname r at tocindent4\endcsname{0pt}
AM> \makeatother

Setting tocdepth to 4 with {amsbook} had no effect for me. However, the part

r at tocindent4

rang a bell. On setting tocdepth to 3, I was getting the error message:

---------
./Mechanics.tex:593: Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                  \r at tocindent4
l.593  F
        or any vectors $\mathbf{a,b,x}$:

I could find no error in the text that supposedly lodged the complaint.

AM> Solution due to Ulrike Fischer here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/21cebbb34004c5ad?

Thanks for the reference.

AM> But the next thing you want to change won't be so simple, so I really
AM> would suggest using memoir.

Had not even heard of memoir as a document class!  ;-)

Cheers  Don (Green Dragon)