[OS X TeX] pdflatex figure with the same name as the document?

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Fri May 14 21:02:06 CEST 2010

On May 14, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Louis Talman wrote:

> On May 14, 2010, at 11:02 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Well, I think you just gave one of the disadvantages of setting the
>> file system to case-sensitive. :-) This is especially true since
>> case-insensitive seems to be the default.
>>
>> Although I would like to use the case-sensitive setting I'm
>> forgetful and couldn't afford to have backups messed up.
>
> Seems to me that the advantage lies, not with case-sensitivy or -
> insensitivity per se, but with consistency.

Not really.  A case insensitive system will protect you against
transfer errors (e.g. to a random flash drive of a student/colleague),
but a case sensitive one won't.  A case sensitive system only really
is safe if you're using it in the ideal world where you control all
the disks you might ever put things on.  Because in practice, if you
get used to case sensitivity, you'll tend to use it (since it's
functional), but then it will come and bite you later in these other
kinds of circumstances.

Alan

--
Alan Munn