[OS X TeX] pdflatex figure with the same name as the document?

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Fri May 14 03:46:21 CEST 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Which one is found is now up to the file-system matching
> provided by your operating system.
> If  one_way.pdf   also matches   One_Way.pdf
> then you are certainly going to have a problem.
>
> I'm pretty sure that this will happen under Windows;
> also it can happen on a Mac --- but I think there is a setting
> to prevent it --- but not under Linux and other Unix flavours.

For the Mac, this is done at the file system level: you can format a
disk to allow case sensitive file names, but there is no setting per
se that you can switch on and off once your disk is formatted in the
standard Apple way.

Unlike Windows, though, the Mac OS preserves the distinction between
upper and lower case in file names, so if you transfer files to a
system that does care about case, the names will appear as you
actually wrote them.

Apple's version is sort of weird: it preserves the file names, but
ignores the difference. Within the terminal, for example, file name
completion appears to be case-sensitive: 'app' will not expand to
Applications.  But at the same time you can't create two files in the
same directory with the same names but different cases.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com