[OS X TeX] Re: Need help collaborating with Windows user

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Wed Mar 31 14:29:20 CEST 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 16.03.2010 um 07:19 schrieb John B. Thoo:
>
>> Does this mean using "pdflatex", e.g.?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I presume that would output a PDF file; what do I use for a viewer
>> (on X-Windows, e.g., but not necessarily) while working?
>
> Xpdf, TeXworks, Acrobat/Adobe Reader, Evince, Sumatra? – there are
> enough! (And I'm on Mac OS X.)

I've found that Preview works well enough for me to view the PDF
output from pdflatex.  And adding the use of the epstopdf package, as
David Watson had suggested (Mar 12), converted all my EPS graphics
without any changes on my part.  Neat.

> In my bad example. If you'd visit the web page Michael Sharpe gave
> you'll see the auto-pst-pdf example: one text for both TeX engines.
>

>>> When working with PSTricks, with latex+dvips or with pdflatex, you
>>> have to use the option -shell-escape.
>>
>> So, e.g.,
>>
>> pdflatex -shell-escape foo.tex
>
> Yes, as the web site recommends.

Unfortunately, this route resulted in my pspictures being placed
weirdly on the pages, so I'm temporarily back to using plain "latex"
with DVI output for this particular project (but I'm beginning to use
pdflatex on my more recent stuff).  What am I doing wrongly?  (Maybe I
missed a step somewhere.)

Thanks again.

---John.

(I received the digest version of this list.)