[OS X TeX] TeXShop v2.33: crashes using TeX and dvi

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Mar 24 22:54:52 CET 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 3:55 PM, David Watson wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Glenn Fulford wrote:
>>
>> Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
>> Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000016dffff0
>> Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
>>
>> I have tried to create the dvi->ps->pdf using the command line
>> (using simplatex, dvips and pstopdf) and that worked ok.
>>

> Here is the command that is set in my TexShop preferences:
>    simpdftex latex --maxpfb
>
> Have you tried using that from the command line?

Howdy,

With newer TeX distributions, e.g., TeX Live 2008 or 2009, you should be use something like

simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-synctex=1 -shell-escape -file-line-error"

or

simpdftex latex --maxpfb --extratexopts "-synctex=1 -file-line-error"

if you don't want to enable sell-escape. The `synctex=1' option tells pdftex (newer versions of latex actually use pdftex in dvi mode) to create a synctex.gz file that TeXshop will use for source<->pdf synchronization. The `-file-line-error' option produces extra information on the console and in the log file that gives TeXShop information about which included file has a given compile error.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)