[OS X TeX] Re: Some ideas LaTeX on iPad, iPhone, etc.

David Watson dewatson at me.com
Tue Mar 23 05:58:31 CET 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 11:41 PM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> Let me reply my own question :)

On all of your points, I say this is a great idea.
We have "Office Live" and "iwork.com" so why not have a "cloud" for LaTeX?

For the next few years, storage requirements will limit the feasibility of using most mobile technologies for a full fledged TeX-Live system, and larger devices such as the iPad will offer opportunities to leverage the devices for the kind of documents that TeX was designed to represent.

If you add on a service to facilitate collaboration between users, this could be a valuable resource for the TeX community.

The e-book format will not work in its current implementation for documents with mathematical markup.
This is a niche that could easily be filled by a cloud service, if there were enough interested parties using mobile devices.