[OS X TeX] Re: Some ideas LaTeX on iPad, iPhone, etc.

Ramón Figueroa-Centeno ramonf at hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 23 05:41:23 CET 2010

Aloha,

Let me reply my own question :)

Our goal is to have a folder such that any change to the folder will trigger
an execution of pdflatexmk on all the files within with suffix "tex" in the
folder. In my case I want the folder to be inside my DropBox folder, So I
assume my target folder is "~/DropBox/LaTeXMe". I assume that you have
TeXShop installed and Herb Schultz's pdflatexmk engine enabled (that is, you
moved ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/pdflatexmk.engine to
~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/)

Here are the steps:

1. In a text editor create a bash script, which I did in ~/bin/latexme.sh,
that will create the folder if it does not exist, cd to it, and run
pdflatexmk on all the ".tex" files therein:

#!/bin/sh

engine="$HOME/Library/TeXShop/Engines/pdflatexmk.engine"
LaTeXMeDir="$HOME/Dropbox/LaTeXMe"

mkdir -p $LaTeXMeDir
cd $LaTeXMeDir
find . -type f -name '*.tex' -execdir $engine '{}' \;

3. Make sure the script is executable, e.g. type in the Terminal "chmod +x
~/bin/latexme.sh" (no quotations, of course).

2. In a text editor create a "Launch Agent" (say
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.ramonfigueroacenteno.LaTeXMe.plist) to watch our
LaTeXMe folder for changes and trigger the script:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>KeepAlive</key>
	<false/>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.ramonfigueroacenteno.LaTeXMe</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>/Users/ramon/bin/latexme.sh</string>
	</array>
	<key>QueueDirectories</key>
	<array/>
	<key>WatchPaths</key>
	<array>
		<string>/Users/ramon/Dropbox/LaTeXMe</string>
	</array>
</dict>
</plist>

4. Load your Launch Agent, e.g. "launchctl load
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.ramonfigueroacenteno.LaTeXMe.plist" in the
Terminal.

Note that give that the script is very short one could easily inbed it the
Launch Agent, but I prefer it this way since I can more easily tweak the
script if needed.

That's it!

Enjoy!

Ramón