[OS X TeX] Why this .ps file can not be viewed?

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:14:43 CET 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Leo wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A .ps file exported from Emacs somehow can not be viewed in Preview.app.
> If I run pstopdf in Terminal.app to convert it into .pdf file, it can
> not be viewed either.
>
> Any .ps expert can shed some light on this? I have attached a sample .ps
> file.

If you drop down into the terminal and use ghostscript to view it (e.g. by typing 'gs scratch.ps') you can see the text. I'm going to guess, since only the background shows up in Preview, that something is going on with the fonts. There's a bunch of font manipulation/redefinition in the header. You'll probably get a better answer asking someone on a postscript mailing list or an emacs mailing list, this doesn't have anything to do with TeX.

BTW, when I print it on my HP LaserJet (by dropping the file directly on the printer icon in the doc), I don't get any text on the printout either.

Chris