[OS X TeX] latex and xelatex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Mar 16 17:17:33 CET 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 10:00 AM, David Messerschmitt wrote:

>> I don't really see how it helps anyone to have this proliferation of (la)tex implementations with differing abilities.
>>

> I assume the issue here is whether merging the versions could be done transparently, that is, without breaking some people's existing documents, scripts, etc.
> Of course merging would have the advantage of making document sharing smoother. It seems like one of those "rock and a hard place" issues:
> The problems that prevent smooth merging are the very same problems that get in the way of document sharing.
>
> -dave

Howdy,

A recent TeX distribution should have all of the necessary engines available. Information about which engine you should use, if it makes a difference, should be in a comment near the top of the file.

The problem seems to be that folks don't update their TeX distribution so you still see systems that don't include things like xe(la)tex. E.g., I don't know if the Fink or MacPorts distributions, which are teTeX based, have xe(la)tex. It would be nice if they would update to a TeX Live based system if they want to supply a TeX distribution. As far as I'm concerned the MacTeX version of TeX Live is by far the easiest and best way to get TeX. On Linux or other Unix systems go with straight TeX Live. on Windows I'd go with MikTeX or, possibly, TeX Live. Oh... and keep things updated. Installing the MacTeX(TeX Live) when a new version comes out doesn't remove the older system so you can have a secure feeling if you are in a critical situation.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)