[OS X TeX] latex and xelatex

david craig dac at panix.com
Sun Mar 14 04:17:54 CET 2010

The latest digest makes me curious what the end game of this forking
brands of (la)tex (latex, pdftex, xelatex, luatex, whatever ...) is
going to be.

>From the point of view of someone who does a lot of work in tex that
needs to be very portable, and is often destined for third parties who
insist on straight latex, I really don't want to have to keep track of
which tex implementation I need on a document-by-document basis.   The
merging of pdflatex with latex was a truly welcome development.

Is there some hope of this occurring with xelatex/luatex?  (If not, why
not?)  I don't really see how it helps anyone to have this proliferation
of (la)tex implementations with differing abilities.

Curious, and somewhat hopeful...

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>