[OS X TeX] Need help collaborating with Windows user

Sr Sur igaoss at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 12:38:56 CET 2010

>Right. I believe MikTeX is a very popular and well-supported distro on
Windows, and it's supposed to be particularly clever about installing
necessary packages on the fly. I'm guessing this is not your problem, but
I'm not terribly familiar with MikTeX

If I remember well, MiKTeX helps you through the Installation of Packages
when the compilation detects that are some package you need.

>IIRC, all the commonly used encoding (MacRoman, Latin-1, UTF-8, etc) share
the same ASCII table, it's umlauts and accents and diacritics where the fun
really starts!

It is a terriffing problem when you are naive in LaTeX... and use to use
latin languages....

>If not "latex" and DVI (which are with what I'm comfortable), then what?
 All my figures have been converted to EPS and I use graphicx to include
them.  (I also use vi to edit my files.  I suppose that I am in the Dark
Ages still.)  Any direction would be appreciated.  I'm willing to modernize,
but I don't know how.  Thanks.

In Other hand If you use DVI script to compile (becouse of .eps files) the
typesetting is absolutely slower than if you use Pdflatex script (according
to the indications to do right). The comments about this problem were about
me (At least I had these kind of problems in this list). I changed all my
eps Figures to .pdf and works Good and Faster... And if you have a G4
processor perhaps is cool to use the faster way...;).

Salutacions,
Greetings,
Sludos.

On 13 March 2010 00:10, Gerrit Glabbart <g.glabbart at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2010/3/12 John B. Thoo <jthoo at yccd.edu>
>

>> As for Amy's set up, this is what she's said:
>>
>>  I am Using MikTex 2.7 on a Dell, windows XP Professional 2002, service
>>> pack 3.
>>>

> Right. I believe MikTeX is a very popular and well-supported distro on
> Windows, and it's supposed to be particularly clever about installing
> necessary packages on the fly. I'm guessing this is not your problem, but
> I'm not terribly familiar with MikTeX -- this *is* the MacTeX list, after
> all! ;) Again, though, the software in use appears outdated, as their
> website lists the current version as MikTeX 2.8, with no automatic upgrade
> path.
>

>   Peter since asked for her available disk space,
>>

> If she has massive amounts of available space: TeX Live is available for
> Windows now...
>
> Re.: text encoding -- that's often worth looking into, but if both of you
> are using plain English only, then different text encodings might not cause
> any problems at all; IIRC, all the commonly used encodings (MacRoman,
> Latin-1, UTF-8, etc) share the same ASCII table, it's umlauts and accents
> and diacritics where the fun really starts!
>
> As for eps, pdf, and dvi: what Peter and David said.
>
> -- Gerrit.

> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Atte: Sr. Sur