[OS X TeX] General Font Question

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Sat Mar 13 10:37:33 CET 2010

Le 13 mars 10 à 09:11, Richard J Benish a écrit :

> So why can't LaTex work with the same ease? Why can't fonts that are
> readily available for graphics applications (and even word
> processors, etc.) be made readily available in LaTex?

They are if you use XeLaTeX and its fontspec package.

Try this, for example:

% !TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
% !TEX TS-program = xelatex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}% loads also fontspec
\setmainfont{Zapfino}
\begin{document}
Zapfino is wonderful!
\end{document}

In argument of fontspec's \setmainfont command, you only have to put
the name of the font available in your Mac OS system.

> I'd guess LaTex would have many more users if font loading were not
> so daunting. I've never even tried loading a new font for LaTex
> because I don't understand how, and the many challenging experiences
> communicated on this list are a big disincentive to bother.

Even with pdfLaTeX, a \usepackage{} is often sufficient. For example,

\usepackage{fourier}

loads the beautiful Utopia-Fourier text/math fonts.

See the LaTeX font catalogue for a comprehensive list of the fonts
available with LaTeX and how to use them:

http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/

Hope that helps,

Franck Pastor