[OS X TeX] TexShop Feature Request: Command-T while revising a chapter possible?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jun 24 01:00:56 CEST 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Iraj Kalantari wrote:

> When working on a book with chapters to be included, I find myself making repairs a chapter, saving it, and then, instinctively, reaching for 'Command-T'.
>
> This of course won't work as one must (to the best of my knowledge) go to the including 'book' source and typeset that file.
>
> Is it possible to arrange that when TeXShop receives a typeset command on a 'chapter', it can be told (until told otherwise) to run the 'book' source that is associated with it (or can be so)?
>
> Is such an arrangement already available?
>
> Iraj.

Howdy,

I assume you have a root file (e.g., mybook.tex) that then contains \include or \input commands for the chapters. if so, then place the line

% !TEX root = path/to/mybook.tex

at the top of each chapter file (that way TeXShop ``knows'' where the root file is located). For example, if you have the root file in a folder and each of the chapter files is in a sub-folder of that folder you can write

% !TEX root = ../mybook.tex

at the top of each of the chapter files (.. means go up one folder). If they all reside in the same folder you'd write

% !TEX root = mybook.tex

and it will all work.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)