[OS X TeX] Left alignment of the section names

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Jun 21 02:42:28 CEST 2010

On Jun 20, 2010, at 7:23 PM, Amar wrote:

> I am using Tex Live 2009 on my macbook. I want the section names to
> be left aligned (on the left side of the page).

This is how section names are standardly, so you must be using some
other document class.  Without knowing the class, it's hard to say how
to change this (and if you're using a specific class, it usually meets
the formatting requirements of whoever created the class.)

> And also instead of having the section names like :
>
> 1. Introduction
>
> I want them to be like :
>
> 1 Introduction
>
> without the dot (period) after the section number. Anyone has any
> suggestions??

\renewcommand{\thesection}{\arabic{section}}

For a general solution to formatting parts of a document, you should
look at the titlesec package.

These are really basic questions, and have little to do with TeX on
the Mac specifically. You might first want to check the UK TeX FAQ
(link at the bottom of this message) or do some other googling.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com