[OS X TeX] TexShop with \usepackage{glossaries} and non-latin characters

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Wed Jun 2 17:38:06 CEST 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 8:25 AM, Christian Hattinger wrote:

> Hallo everyone!
>
> I sent this message about 10 days ago but I am not sure if it ever
> appeared in the mailing list since I was not a member at this
> moment. If so - and there are no answers - excuse me for this spam.
> Otherwise I hope for a discussion about this issue:
>
> I use for my thesis the "glossaries" package and would like to use a
> special character (the German "Ö") as an reference for the glossary
> (\gls{ÖGS}).
> I already searched a bit in several forums and as far as I read the
> 'glossaries' package does not work with non-latin characters. Is
> there any way to solve this problem?

AFAIK, this is not true.  The glossaries package can work with xindy
instead of makeindex, and if you have an up-to-date MacTeX, xindy is
installed on it. There isn't an applemac code page for xindy, though,
so you probably want to use UTF-8 as your inputenc encoding. (And save
your source as UTF-8).

> I heard that xindy can handle such characters, if so, is it possible
> to use xindy as I use the "MakeGloss" now in TexShop?

In principle, yes.  I don't know if anyone on the list has made an
xindy engine, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com