[OS X TeX] --shell-escape

Antonio Cosma acosma at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 19:37:58 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Peter Vamos <P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:

>  At 14:40 +0100 20/7/10, Antonio Cosma wrote:
>
> I installed gnuplot on my MacBook Air and typesetting with TexShop works
> like you all confirmed it should. There must be some weird setting on Mac
> Pro.
>

> It seems to me that your TeX cannot find your Gnuplot. I suggest that you
> check the symlink and the location of the Gnuplot app. In particular, the
> last two steps in the instructions I wrote on 14/9/08 (credit for these
> steps to Vic Norton):
>
>  7. go to /usr/local/bin in terminal and do
>
>  8. $ sudo ln -sf
>
>         "/Applications/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot"
>
> This assumes that your Gnuplot.app is actually where this path points to.
> On my desktop machine Gnuplot.app is in a folder (I don't know why, maybe
> this is how it came out of the Octave dmg) called GnuPlot so my symlink
> there points to
>
>         /Applications/GnuPlot/Gnuplot.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnuplot
>
> Maybe the safest way is to drill down to gnuplot within the Gnuplot
> package, navigate to /usr/local/bin in terminal, type sudo ln -sf   and then
> drop gnuplot on the terminal. The path then would be appended to complete
> the symlink command.
>
> Hope that this helps
>
> Peter

This helps indeed. Actually I arrived to the same conclusion, and was just
coming back to the list to report my success. Not quick enough!
Anyway, how did the pdflatex form the command line know where to find
gnuplot if the symlink was not there? I know this is not mactex related, I'm
just telling myself that I have a long road ahead before I can consider my
transition to mac complete.

thx again