[OS X TeX] epstopdf glitch

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 13 22:56:49 CEST 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 13:12 , Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Jul 13, 2010, at 2:48 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> [snip]
>>>
>>> I thought I mentioned the particulars earlier in this thread, but to cover the bases:
>>>
>>> Both the 10.5 and 10.6 systems have the same 2010 TeXLive installation, and both are updated from the same mirror at roughly the same time, so I should think things are fine.  Also, I just recalled, my 'kpsewhich' results both specified 2010 in their output :-}
> [snip]
>> But you also said that you were using TeX+DVI on one system and pdfTeX on the other and that was why it worked on one and not the other even though both may be using TL2010 pretest. I was particularly interested in the case of having a problem with eps conversion with TL2010 pretest while using pdf(la)TeX with --shell-escape (which is the default under TeXShop). it is that particular set of things that should work as before, i.e., as with TL2009, while using TL2010. Expect a fix via TLU within the next few days.
>
> As it happens, I was just checking this when your mail arrived.
>
> Turns out there is either a TeXShop/Framework bug lurking on 10.5, or I'm confused.
>
> If I switch default scripts (and click OK), the change does not seem to take effect.  Only after I exit TeXShop and restart does that happen.
>
> Now, if I restart TeXShop between settings, I get the same behavior as on 10.6: with 'Pdftex', it fails the same way on both; with 'Tex+DVI', it succeeds on both.
>
> Justin

Howdy,

Working under 10.6 here right now so I'm not sure about that behavior under 10.5. Can you give me the exact steps to reproduce it?

By the way, since I use different engines for different files I put TS-engine line at the top of each file and don't worry about it. The line looks like

% !TEX TS-program = xxxxxx

where xxxxxx is the name of the engine. LaTeX with TeX+DVI has xxxxxx = latex, LaTeX with pdfTeX has xxxxxx = pdflatex. Since I use cross references and occasionally a bibliography I often use the latexmk or pdflatexmk engines (these `latexmk engines' have to be activated --- look in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/ for the engines and instructions for activating and using them) and sometimes I use system fonts and use xelatex or even xelatexmk. That way I don't worry about default settings, etc. I'm all for doing it once and forgetting it; what can I say, I'm lazy.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)