[OS X TeX] Still trying to understand autocompletion

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sun Jul 11 18:03:27 CEST 2010

On Jul 11, 2010, at 11:41 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>> Hi again.  Thanks to Herb and Dick for fixing the autocompletion
>> bug.  I hope I haven't found another one, and the following is just
>> me not understanding how it's supposed to work:
>>
>> If I type:
>>
>> \begin{ite
>> and hit Tab or Esc
>>
>> I get the following:
>>
>> \begin{itemize}
>> \item
>>
>> Surely that linebreak shouldn't be there?  Can I get rid of it?
>> And what's the • after the \end{itemize} doing there?
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> (On a separate note, auto completion messes with a great
>> parenthesis balancer (AutoPairs) that I use, but I doubt this is a
>> fixable problem, and I'll have to decide which is more useful to me
>> in practice.)
>>
>> --
>> Alan Munn
>
> Howdy,
>
> By ``linebreak'' do you mean between the \item and the following •
> for the text? It's the way I like it! :-) It can also be easily
> changed. Open the CommandCompletion.txt file (Source->Completion-
> >Open Completion File…) and find the (multiple) itemize (and item)
> entries and remove the #RET# between the \item and the •. The reason
> there are multiple entries is that you there are multiple ways to
> bring up; and you've chosen one of the more difficult :-).

I see, not my preferred style, but to each their own. :-)

And the final • that appears after the environment?  It's a bit
disconcerting to have characters that show up in the source but don't
actually appear in the output.

> Rather than using completions use abbreviations. To get the itemize
> environment above simply put
>
> bit
>
> or \bit (the b starts all abbreviations for environments, e.g., benu
> for an enumerate environment) and trigger the Command Completion. If
> you have the latest CommandCompletion.txt file there should be
> documentation, which contains tables of all the abbreviations, in ~/
> Library/TeXShop/CommandCompletion/; if it isn't there you aren't
> using the latest CommandCompletion.txt file---move the ~/Library/
> TeXShop/CommandCompletion/ folder to your Desktop and restart
> TeXShop. You need only type part of an abbreviation; then pressing
> the trigger multiple times will cycle through all the matches.

I see.  I'll have to experiment.  Since the documents I create use a
small number of environments, I've just created macros for them, but
maybe this is easier.

Thanks, Herb.
--
Alan Munn