[OS X TeX] Re: installing of pandora font on TeXShop/TeXLive 2007

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 6 16:02:49 CEST 2010

On Jul 6, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> On Sat Feb 16 17:45:38 CET 2008, stefanos folias wrote:
>>
>> i've installed the most recent version of MacTeX which incorporates
>> the distribution TeXLive 2007.  it apparently does not include the
>> pandora fonts.  i have tried to install the pandora fonts from CTAN to
>> no avail.
>> i guess i have two questions:
>>
>> 1) does anyone know how to install the pandora fonts properly for  os x
>
> For me, it worked to install the type 1 version (http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/pandora/) and then the pandora-latex package (http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/pandora-latex/).
>
> The only variation to the given installation instructions was that I didn't update the map file manually but rather used this command line:
>
> updmap --enable Map=/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/\
> fonts/map/dvips/pandora/pandora.map
>
> Maybe some of these steps weren't necessary, but it ended up working.
>
>> 2) is there something in .pdf/.html format which lists all of the
>> fonts that come with TeXLive 2007 and provides an example of their
>> appearance as well?
>
> Yes, have a look at http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/.
>
> PS. Excuse the 2.5-year delay in replying.

Howdy,

I would change updmap (which will create a personal map file in ~/.texlive2007 (hmmm... you really should update and MacTeX(TeX Live)-2010 is due out reasonably shortly) which will drive you crazy figuring out why your next use of updmap-sys ``isn't working.'' When using updmap-sys you must use sudo and there is no need to put in the complete path to the map file: so the command to use is

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=pandora.map

and remove that distracting, hidden ~/.texlive2007 folder using

rm -fr ~/.texlive2007

(note: this is a dangerous command when used incorrectly so copy/paste may be the best way to do this).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)