[OS X TeX] csv2latex

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 21:23:38 CET 2010

On Jan 30, 2010, at 12:46 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> On Jan 30, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Alan Munn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, this is most likely the problem.  (Just make sure that if
>>> you've changed the name from csv2latex to csv2latex.rb you either
>>> reflect that change in the Applescript, or change it back so that
>>> the Applescript actually calls the correct execuatble.) As the
>>> author of csv2latex I'd like to improve the documentation, if
>>> possible. The documentation does mention to make sure the file is
>>> executable, but perhaps I should make this clearer by giving the
>>> exact commands to do so?   Would that have been helpful to you?
>>
>> Since you asked for it, here comes the installation absolutely,
>> totally, ultimately challenged:
>>
>> 1) I downloaded the zip from ctan
>>
>> 2) I am reading "Using csv2latex to paste spreadsheet table cells"
>>
>> 	3 Installation
>> 	Put the ruby script in some location where it can be found. A
>> logical place for all users is
>> 	/usr/local/bin. Alternatively, you can put it in a local bin
>> folder /Users/<youruser>/bin for
>> 	example. Make sure the file is executable.
>>
>> 3) I can't find .usr/local/bin (I thought there was a way with the
>> Finder but couldn't find it) I suspect I need the terminal.
>
> The . has undone you!  In the finder, you should be able to to Go
> To Folder (command-shift-G) and then enter /usr/local/bin and then
> copy the csv2latex script there.
>
> But you will still need to open a terminal window and do the
> following:
>
> $ cd /usr/local/bin
> $ sudo chmod +x csv2latex
>
> Now everything should work as advertised.
>
> But now you've made me think I should make an installer package for
> this anyway, so that Terminal phobic users won't have to deal with
> this at all.
>

>> 4) I copied the applescript into a TeXShop macro and it comes up
>> but then can't find the script. (Of course)
>>
>> 5) I think/hope Ruby 1.8 came with 10.4.11
>
> I think it does.  You can check from the terminal by typing:
>
> $ which ruby
>
> and you should get back /usr/bin/ruby as a response (as opposed to
> nothing at all)
>

>> 6) Trade:  If you help make it, I will write it up and you can
>> have it. (Nothing like a certified install-challenged to write
>> idiot-proof installations instructions)
>
> Thanks for the offer, but there's no need.  I'll package the script
> into an installer so that it will be almost a one click procedure.

In order of decreasing importance:

1) I vote with both hands for the one click procedure. Thanks for all
my installing-challenged siblings.

2) As I wrote in response to Schulz, I just put it in "~/Library/
texmf/ , changed the line in the applescript and it worked. So I am
happy."

3) I sure didn't
> do the following:
>
> $ cd /usr/local/bin
> $ sudo chmod +x csv2latex

So what happened?

I checked it again. Other than the fact that LaTeX claimed it needed
a $, and after I hit Enter a few times, it worked beautifully. I mean
really nice.

4) What a difference a dot will make.

5) Sorry about hitting the panic button too soon. (As usual though.)

Grateful regards
--schremmer