[OS X TeX] [ANN] MetaPost Scripts (aka MetaPost Engines 1.3.2b1)

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Mon Jan 25 09:54:44 CET 2010

Le 24 janv. 10 à 19:12, Nicola a écrit :

> Hi,
> version 1.3.2b1 of my MetaPost Engines for TeXShop is available for
> download at:
>
> http://users.dimi.uniud.it/~nicola.vitacolonna/home/metapost/download

Hello,

Thanks again for this update!

In the README for your MetaPost's engines, I notice this:

"Note. The TEXShop version bundled with MacTEX 2009 (and TEXShop 2.29)
are shipped
with version 1.3.0 of my scripts. They are located in the Inactive
folder. The script that
here is called nv-metapost.engine, however, can also be activated by
choosing “mptopdf” in
Preferences ! Misc (while the “mpost” option selects the original
TEXShop engine). That’s
unfortunate, because nv-metapost.engine is meant as a replacement for
“mpost” and nvmetafun.
engine as a replacement for “mptopdf”.

Allow me to (partly) disagree: I think that the original "mpost"
engine of TeXShop should remain what it is. Because it is the most
relevant for the users of the mfpic package (from Dan Luecking), as I
am.

If you have mfpic code embedded in your original LaTeX document, you
only have to typeset it first with with LaTeX, then with MetaPost
(settled with the original TeXShop engine), and then again with LaTeX,
and it's done. Mpfic does not need any PDF version of the MetaPost
pictures to include them in the document. Moreover, in this process
you don't have to open different files. Only the original LaTeX file
is needed to remain open (exactly as in a BibTeX processing). In the
second step, TeXShop locates automatically the ".mp" document and
typesets it with its relevant mpost engine. See the "ConTeXt and
MetaPost" section in TeXShop's Help.

Your metapost engine is unfortunately not able to do that:  as I try
to typeset the original LaTeX file, with your metapost engine (that is
to say, with the "mptopdf" option cheched in TeXShop's Preferences),
it does not go to the relevant .mp file, but it remains to the .tex
file and delivers this error message: "Sorry, your source file must
have a .mp or .mf suffix". This happens with your new metapost engine
(nv-metapost.engine) too.

So I think that your metapost engine is in the right place with the
"mptopdf" option of TeXShop's preferences, since it produces a pdf
output, while the original TeXShop "mpost" engine only producees mps
files (which are sufficient for mfpic, I repeat). Moreover, the new
version of your metapost engine produces PDF version of each picture,
which is exactly what the old mptopdf engine did.

As for the metafun engine, I do not think it should replace anything.
It is good as it is, as a supplementary engine for ConTeXt and
MetaFun's users.

I hope I was understandable enough (I am not  fluent in English),

Many thanks again,

Franck Pastor