[OS X TeX] need Mac cmd and apple symbols

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Jan 13 21:53:13 CET 2010

Hi Herb and Joe,

On 14/01/2010, at 4:08 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Joe Heafner wrote:
>
>> How can I get the cmd key symbol (aka splat) and the little apple
>> key symbol? I've looked through the master list of LaTeX symbols
>> and couldn't find them.

Many fonts have these.

  The cloverleaf is at Unicode point Ux02318 "Place of interest sign".
  Many other familiar symbols are in the "Miscellaneous Technical"
block:
   Ux02300 --> Ux023FF   (not all slots are used)

  A lot of fonts have an apple symbol at the end of the PUA (private
use area)
  at position  Ux0F8FF .
  Mostly it is a filled apple, but some fonts have it in an outlined
  form. Use the "Characters" palette to see what you have here.

>> Joe Heafner (follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/heafnerj)
>> email: heafnerj(at)gmail(dot)com URL: www(dot)SticksAndShadows(dot)
>> com
>
> Howdy,
>
> Try Applekeys.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>. It actually
> contains images of several of the standard Apple Key notations and
> a package that allows your to get keys with commands. E.g., get the
> command key by using \cmdkey in your document.

Using XeTeX as the processor, you can access the font characters
directly, and get perfect rendering at any size and colour.

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Hope this helps,