[OS X TeX] Print Oddity in TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 13 00:14:58 CET 2010

On Jan 12, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> I'm currently using an older version of TeXShop (2.20, I'll upgrade in a couple weeks when I get a new desktop machine) under 10.5. I noticed a printing oddity, and I wonder if it persists in later versions and if it would be considered a bug.
>
> Typeset the following:
>
> %---Begin
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
>
> \usepackage{geometry}
> \geometry{papersize={8.5in,6.5in}, top=0.5in, left=0.25in, right=0.25in, bottom=0.25in, headsep=0.35in }
>
> \begin{document}
>
> This is a test.
>
> \end{document}
> %---End
>
> Now do each of the following.
>
> (1) With the source window active, use cmd-p to print.
>
> (2) With the pdf window active, use cmd-p to print.
>
> I notice two differences here. First, (1) gives me a pop-up window, while (2) gives me a sheet. That's minor. More importantly, (1) results in a portrait layout for printing, while (2) results in a landscape layout for printing. I find this difference quite annoying.
>
> So, does this persist into the latest version? Is it a bug in TeXShop? (I think so, but ...) Maybe it's something about my setup?
>
> Chris

Howdy,

Just tested it in TeXShop 2.29 and the behavior is the same.

I can certainly understand the sheet vs dialog when the Preview vs Source window is active; you are Printing the Preview Document so a sheet (i.e., it's attached to the window) should appear if the Preview window is active and that shouldn't happen with the Source window active.

If I open the document in Preview and Print there... There is an ``auto rotate'' check box in the print sheet. I wonder if the settings are different in the two cases in TeXShop. I also note that the rotation (with auto rotation on) is 180° different from that in TeXShop's sheet in the Preview window.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)