[OS X TeX] removal of unneeded languages

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 22:20:50 CET 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Richard Koch wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> What you want to do isn't possible with MacTeX. That is a
> deliberate choice.
>
> We could add extra buttons to choose a language, or
> choose fonts, or choose packages to omit, or choose installation
> location,
> or a host of other things. Each button increases the complexity of
> installation,
> and the chances for error on our part. When MacTeX was made, our
> assignment
> was the opposite. "Make a one click installer."
>
> Apple does the same thing (no coincidence, since we use their
> installer). When
> you install a system, you aren't given many choices. Just click and
> install.

I must say that seeing all these languages scrolling down the console
gives an impression of waste. But then of course, you don't really
have to look at the console except at the very end, when it stops.
And, I imagine, the space saving on the hard drive couldn't be that big.

And, as I recall my first installation, extraneous languages were way
from being my problem.

So, I vote for the one click installer with both hands---even though
I have yet to use it.

Grateful regards
--schremme