[OS X TeX] Keeping TeX installations synchronized between machines

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jan 5 03:27:24 CET 2010

On Jan 4, 2010, at 7:17 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2010, at 5:17 PM, M. Tamer Özsu wrote:
>
>> I use Dropbox for this purpose. Works like a charm.
>>

> Can you elaborate? What part(s) do you synchronize, and how? What do you do when you don't have internet access?
>
> The problem from my point of view is the way various things are scattered in different folders. I use rsync to synchronize my home and work desktops, which works great, but for TeX I have to specify a number of different places to synchronize.
>
> Maybe this would be a good request for the MacTeX people: Would it be possible to organize all the user-specific files for everything in MacTeX in one place, like ~/Library/MacTeX or ~/Documents/MacTex? This would require some coordination with some developers, but I think it would be a great feature.
>
> Chris

Howdy,

Somehow I don't thing ``requiring'' people to put there personal work in certain directories will get a good reception. I you want to do that go ahead and do that. There already are certain directories supported by TeX Live that have a fixed structure but user files are another thing altogether.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)