[OS X TeX] edit spell check dictionary

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 2 16:14:20 CET 2010

On Jan 2, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 02.01.2010 um 15:07 schrieb Charles Pugh:
>
>> How can I delete words from the Apple spell check dictionary used by TexShop (not the custom dictionary)?
>

> How do you know that TeXShop uses something different?
>
> You might look into ~/Library/Spelling. There you'll find some files of which one could be the one which is used by Apple's SpellService. The file's name should correspond with the language choice you made in AppleSpell. I think Aspell is also using this folder. The file is kind of a regular text file, the words saved are separated by ASCII NULs, represented in text by ^@ or whatever your editor might choose.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Howdy,

The problem is that he wants to do the reverse of the usual behavior. He doesn't want to add a new word to the spell checker but rather remove a word (fro---as in `to and fro') from the spelling dictionary so it gets flagged as an error. I don't see a way of negating a word already in the dictionary.

Snow Leopard has a built-in substitution facility (System Preferences->Language Text->Text for setting up something like fro->from) but it needs to be activated for each application and TeXShop doesn't have the required Edit->Substitutions sub-menu under Snow Leopard with the Text Substitution checkoff. On the other hand it would be a pain to never be able to type fro when you really meant it. :-)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)