[OS X TeX] cmr8 not in mapping file

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Sat Jan 2 04:21:53 CET 2010

All,

On my Macbook, setting the GS_LIB environment variable to point to the cm fonts is the cure. However, the symlink option is interesting because it seems more permanent and perhaps something that the Texlive people can address ( I don't know this --- no expert, only guessing). Even without mp-tools, which has been part of tex distributions for a very long time, it is easy to see the problem. Save this file as junk2.mp.

prologues:=2;

beginfig(0);

numeric u; 10u = 3in;
drawdblarrow (-5u,0)--(5u,0);
label.rt(btex $x$ etex, (5u,0));
drawdblarrow (0,-5u)--(0,5u);
label.top(btex $y$ etex, (0,5u));

pair A, B;
A:=origin;
B:=(5u,5u);

drawarrow A--B withcolor blue;
label(btex $\phi$ etex,(1u,0.5u));

endfig;

end.

Now, make sure you don't have the GS_Lib environment variable pointing toward the cm fonts and run:

mpost junk2.mp
gs -dEPScrop -dEPSPageFit junk2.0

on your mac using the current Mactex installation. The result on my system in shown in the attached junk2_fig1.pdf. Now, set the following in ~/.bash_profile:

export GS_LIB=/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm

Save and open a new shell. Then try again:

gs -dEPScrop -dEPSPageFit junk2.0

The result on my system in shown in the attached junk2_fig2.pdf.

As you can see in the first figure, Ghostscript can't find the cm fonts. This has long been a problem with tex distributions ever since Metapost first started becoming popular. Now, I'm not sure (again no expert here), but doesn't ps2pdf use ghostscript somehow? And that would explain why we were not getting the correct fonts with our compiling routine:

latex --shell-escape file.tex
dvips -o file-pics.ps file.dvi
ps2pdf file-pics.ps
pdflatex file.tex

Granted, this is certainly a strange way to compile a file with all the various options that are nowadays available, but our automated system for generating online tests for students (http://msenux.redwoods.edu/cgi-bin/online/f09/OTlogin.cgi) has to generate tests on the fly for our students. With the tests generating Metpost on the fly as well as PSTricks, we had to adopt this technique.

So, I for one,  would like to see the organizers of Texlive address this problem.

Sorry if I am missing some obvious solution.

David