[OS X TeX] cmr8 not in mapping file

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 1 00:51:57 CET 2010

On Dec 31, 2009, at 3:03 PM, David Arnold wrote:

> Michael et al,
>
> Michael is onto something. I followed his lead and did this:
>
> latex --shell-escape Untitled.tex
>
> I then opened Untitled.1 in my editor and changed:
>
> %%DocumentFonts: cmr8 cmr10
>
> to:
>
> %%DocumentFonts: CMR8 CMR10
>
> Then I ran:
>
> dvips -o Untitled_pics.ps Untitled.dvi
>
> No warning messages this time!
>
> Then I did this:
>
> ps2pdf Untitled_pics.ps
>
> And got the file Untitled_pics.pdf which was correct!
>
> Now I started searching and found:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/amsfonts/cm.map
>
> Which has this content:
>
> % Copyright (c) 2009 American Mathematical Society (<http://www.ams.org>).
> % This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1.
> % This license is in the accompanying file OFL.txt, and is also
> % available with a FAQ at: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL.
>
> cmb10    CMB10    <cmb10.pfb
> cmbsy10  CMBSY10  <cmbsy10.pfb
> cmbx5    CMBX5    <cmbx5.pfb
>
> I don't know much about these files, but it appears to be mapping the lower case names to upper case, which may be what is needed. Now, is this map file enabled? How can I tell? And if not, how can I enable it?

Since dvips worked with this change, it means there is no further action required---you have the entries for cmr8, etc, in the psfonts.map file found by dvips. The meaning of the line

cmr8 CMR8 <cmr8.pfb

is that a font known to TeX by the name cmr8 corresponds to a font known to PostScript as CMR8 and can be obtained by loading the file cmr8.pfb. The PostScript name of this font is spelled out in the file cmr8.pfb in the line

/FontName /CMR8 def

Since the inclusion of an eps file is all handled at the PostScript level, the font names used there must be those known to PostScript.

Michael