[OS X TeX] Page number appears with \pagestyle{empty}

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Feb 28 22:48:02 CET 2010

Hi Manuel,

On 01/03/2010, at 8:16 AM, Manuel wrote:

> Am 28/02/2010 um 17:39 schrieb Themis Matsoukas:
>
>> On Feb 28, 2010, at 8:49 AM, Manuel wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried that, but unfortunately it does not work: the first page
>>> of the table of contents (and oddly only that one page, not the
>>> following ones) gets a page number.

The reason is that \tableofcontents  starts a new chapter,
and the footer style for the 1st page of a chapter is different
to that of later pages.

Having \thispagestyle{empty}  coming after  \tableofcontents
is useless, as the first page of a multi-page ToC has appeared
well before that command is encountered.

Having \thispagestyle{empty}  coming before  \tableofcontents
is equally useless, as the internal \chapter command
changes the pagestyle anyway.

Here is one way to suppress the pagenumber,
at the end (backmatter part) of your document:

\backmatter
\let\plainefootc\relax  % on an even page
\let\plainofootc\relax  % on an odd page
\tableofcontents*

>> I am not sure what you are seeing. My output (attached) has no
>> page numbers. (Using Document Class: memoir 2009/09/21 v1.61803398b).
>>
>> Themis
>>
>> <test.pdf>
>
> Here is the whole preamble:
>
> \documentclass[article,twoside,a4paper,12pt]{memoir}
> \usepackage[spanish]{babel}
> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[colorlinks=true,linkcolor=black]{hyperref}
> \setsecnumdepth{none}
> \setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
> \usepackage{pdfsync}
> \pagestyle{empty}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> <text>
>
> \clearpage
>
> \tableofcontents*
> \thispagestyle{empty}
> \end{document}
>

> The only other thing I can think of is that it contains sections
> and subsections, but no chapters. I work on OS 10.4.11.
>
> Manuel

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au