[OS X TeX] New Macros, new Engines, new TeXShop versions, and all that

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Wed Feb 24 17:41:12 CET 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

[on top/bottom posting and rhetorical style]

> My conclusion: I would wish for a bit of forbearance for the
> following reasons:
>
> --- Even if the majority of the people on the list prefer bottom
> posting, I really do not see on what ground we can force the
> minority of the people who prefer top posting to adhere to our
> preference. To begin with, no one is forced to read any message .
>
> --- From a more selfish viewpoint, particularly in the case of
> people whose contributions I value a lot and which I would hate
> missing should the authors get "pissed-off", I would rather they not
> be. (The term is the exactly apt term which the Oxford American
> Dictionary categorizes as "vulgar slang" and which I thus hope is
> still acceptable on this list. If wrong, I duly apologize.)

As the person who made the (I hope polite) plea for top posting, I
agree with both of these sentiments, which is why I won't pursue any
debate with people who do otherwise. The value of the list is
definitely diminished if we try to enforce this sort of behaviour by
citing the "rules" etc. which will piss people off. On the other hand,
some people may not be aware of the distinction, so once and a while I
don't think it's inappropriate to ask politely.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com