[OS X TeX] New Macros, new Engines, new TeXShop versions, and all that

David Messerschmitt messer at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 21 20:43:02 CET 2010

> The "trouble" with users is the same as with cars: cars don't remain new very long and users don't remain lazy very long. Even I, among the laziest of the lazies eventually got a bit less lazy. It seems to me that the old lazy me would like Koch's new scheme because I would have had nothing to do to get going and the later less lazy me would also like it because I might now venture moving a few entries. (I take it that would not involve the terminal.)

Good point, but there is absolutely nothing inconsistent between (a) accommodating naive and power users differently and (b) allowing users to move from the naive to the power category. All you are saying is that naive users should not matter, because they dont stay that way. Such a perspective is commonplace in open source software, but I am arguing that naive users are important. For one thing, accommodating them will attract more new users to TexShop, whether or not they later turn into power users. I would argue that this is good, if we wish to maximize the impact of TexShop.

-dave

David Messerschmitt