[OS X TeX] bibdesk/revtex 4

James Crippen jcrippen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 19:48:54 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 04:55, Themis Matsoukas <matsoukas at engr.psu.edu> wrote:
> I know bibdesk has a separate email list but I thought I will try here first: All the bst styles
> that come with the new revtex4 produce a bibliography that prints all text in the Annotation
> field of bibdesk (this fields used to be invisible to to bibtex, as far as I remember). Is there
> a way to suppress their printing --other than eliminating these fields in the bidesk
> database?

I don't know RevTeX, but it sounds like the best solution is going to
be hand-editing the BibTeX style files (*.bst) to turn off printing of
the Annotation. Don't edit the original ones, but instead copy and
rename them and then edit those. If you have the patience you can
probably download the older *.bst files and compare them with the new
ones to see where the Annotation field has been added, or just search
through the new ones for the field. Editing bst files is not very
simple because the language is rather terse and difficult, so be sure
to read one of the several guides to the BibTeX language if you're not
familiar with it.

Bibdesk also has a very useful search and replace function. You might
try using it to rename the field to something else.

Cheers,
James